In ACTCOSS' submission to the 2019-20 ACT Budget, we focus on the following priorities for investment:
- Municipal level social and community infrastructure, services and community development
- Investments that address social determinants of justice system interactions
- Self-determination for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Delivering the ACT health reform agenda
- Investing in financial assistance, financial counselling and conflict resolution services
- Ensuring decent wages in community services don’t reduce supply of services to people in need.
We also highlight actions and further investment needed to ensure effective implementation of existing commitments in:
- Affordable housing
- Transport infrastructure development
- Improving school education
- Disability services
- Family and children’s services
- Young people’s services
- Reducing and responding better to sexual, domestic and family violence
- Implementing the ACT Community Services Industry Strategy 2016-2026.
The ACT Government has made some smart decisions to lead on social issues and inclusion for many groups of people. In the 2019-20 ACT Budget we need to see this commitment to social justice extended into budget allocation decisions.
Thank you to the members who participated in our consultation outreach this year and provided copies of their submissions and other input.