23 March 2020
ACTCOSS COVID-19 Advocacy
ACTCOSS have been advocating on behalf of community organisations during this COVID-19 pandemic period through actions including:
- Regular engagement with the Chief Minister's Office to ensure community organisations are included in territory-specific economic stimulus packages
- Letter to the ACT Government on community sector contracts calling for:
- A delay or relaxation of reporting obligations
- Suspension of KPIs and outcomes to allow for adaption to new conditions
- Removal of penalties for non-compliance with contracts arising from the COVID-19 emergency.
- Engagement with Minister Shane Rattenbury’s office on corrections and justice health, and a letter to the Commissioner of ACT Corrective Services regarding the welfare and rights of persons in the Alexander Maconochie Centre
- With the Consumer Action Law Centre Australia and Better Renting, support for an eviction moratorium and restrictions on debt recovery, and to keep people connected to essential utilities
- Letter to the ACT Minister for Health and the ACT Minister for Community Services on preparedness and communications.
ACOSS COVID-19 Advocacy
- ACOSS response to the Federal Government stimulus package.
- ACOSS response to doubling of Newstart and Youth Allowance JobSeeker.
- ACOSS have made recommendations to the Federal Government (pdf) in response to the COVID-19 health crisis.
- ACOSS have also compiled a set of COVID-19 community sector rescue package recommendations.
Community Sector Updates
- ACT Government COVID-19 Economic Survival Package
- Disability sector highlight coordinated set of measures needed regarding COVID-19 support
- New arrangements for CHSP providers during COVID-19
- Changes to Early Morning Centre (EMC) Service Delivery
- NDIS – Advice for Providers and Participants in English and other languages
- Residential Aged Care – Visitation Restrictions
- Hands Across Canberra: COVID-19 survey to inform upcoming grant round of $400,000
- Children & Young People with Disability Australia (CYFDA): COVID-19 survey to inform advocacy
- Youth program / service change info: email [email protected]
- NDIS Local Area Coordination temporary suspension of drop-ins and move to telephone bookings: email [email protected].
- Fairwork Australia: COVID-19 & Workplace Laws
- Better Renting: Navigating COVID-19 for Renters in Share Houses (Google doc)