The Australian Council of Social Service and the state and territory network of Councils of Social Service made a joint submission to the Australian Infrastructure Audit.
The Councils of Social Service advocate for an approach to Australia’s investment in infrastructure that includes:
- A strategic vision that includes social as well as economic objectives
- A focus on social and community infrastructure (social housing, public transport, health facilities, educational infrastructure, community facilities) as well as economic infrastructure
- A networked approach to infrastructure investment to maximise synergies between social and economic infrastructure investment
- Consultation, cost-benefit analyses, and social return on investment evaluations to determine community needs as well as sustainability
- New equitable funding models rather than reliance on regressive user-pays models
- Sustainable procurement that benefits disadvantaged communities
- Partnering with the community sector to identify social and community needs, manage social infrastructure such as social housing, and access innovative sources of financing such as social impact bonds.