This report tracks changes in the cost of living, particularly for low income households in the Australian Capital Territory. It builds on previous ACT Council of Social Service work on costs of living in the ACT.
The report draws on figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics Selected Living Cost Indexes (SLCI) and Consumer Price Index (CPI) to show changes in the cost of living in the last 12 months.
The key findings of the report include:
- Rising cost of living continues to hit Canberra’s low income households hardest
- Canberra’s CPI continues to increase above the national rate
- Utilities prices in Canberra rose the most and well above the national rate
- Other essential service prices in the ACT rose above the national rate
- Income support is inadequate to meet essential living costs in Canberra.