ACTCOSS 2020 ACT Election issue brief: Fixing Canberra’s housing crisis
For a just and fair Canberra, the next ACT Government must:
- Commit to full delivery and proper oversight of the ACT Housing Strategy
- Achieve target of 15% of the Land Release Program for the supply of public, community and affordable housing
- Increase effective land transfers to ACT community housing providers and empower them to build more community and affordable housing
- Provide further investment in additional public housing and renewal of current stock
- Locate public and community housing in a range of locations including suburbs close to established amenities and services
- Commit to all new residential properties in the ACT built to meet Universal Design standards to make them able to be adapted and accessible to all people regardless of age, disability or other factors, and support reforms of the National Construction Code
- Re-establish and fund an advocacy voice for tenants in the ACT
- Develop an Indigenous Housing Strategy for the ACT including a pathway to a community controlled Aboriginal housing organisation
- Establish a specialist youth homelessness service
- Implement long-term housing solutions for detainees leaving the Alexander Maconochie Centre (AMC)
- Fund human rights compliant mental health specific supported housing.
Read the full issue brief below for more details, or read other issue briefs on our ACT Election page.