ACTCOSS 2020 ACT Election issue brief: Poverty, Inequality and the Cost of Living
For a just and fair Canberra, the next ACT Government must:
- Take action on the fundamentals of social and economic justice, including:
- Publicly call for a permanent and adequate increase (above the poverty line) to JobSeeker, Youth Allowance and related Commonwealth payments
- Incorporate all economic, social, and cultural rights in the Human Rights Act 2004 (ACT)
- Conduct a detailed analysis to better understanding the need for community services in the ACT
- Adequately fund our community services – they play a vital role in preventing, reducing, and alleviating the impacts of poverty and disadvantage in the ACT
- Ensure that revenue is collected in a way that is progressive, equitable, efficient, and sufficient to fund quality services and infrastructure.
- Take action on targeted financial assistance, including:
- Review the ACT Targeted Assistance Strategy to ensure concessions and rebates are targeted to need
- Recognise the contribution of older Canberrans to our community through a range of targeted supports and assistance points across the city
- Extend financial and other support for all young people transitioning from care
- Increase funding to financial counselling services.
- Take action on key cost of living pressures, including housing, health, transport and energy
- Take action to ensure equal access to justice
- Implement the Canberra Gambling Reform Alliance’s program for reducing gambling harm.
Read the full issue brief below for more details, or read other issue briefs on our ACT Election page.