ACTCOSS 2020 ACT Election issue brief
For a just and fair Canberra, the next ACT Government must:
- Resource all six areas of the National Disability Strategy
- Commit to ending restrictive practices and meet Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture (OPCAT) obligations in all congregate living situations in the ACT and aged care facilities
- Ensure concessions are targeted to need
- Improve access to justice for people with disability and other vulnerable cohorts by expanding individual advocacy supports
- Design and implement a Disability Health Strategy
- Establish and support a consultative forum on transport for people with disabilities
- Properly fund the ACT Taxi Subsidy Scheme by removing the trip limit and increasing the monetary cap to keep pace with increases in taxi fares
- Establish an access reference group to improve physical and sensory access
- Commit to all new residential properties in the ACT being built to meet Universal Design standards
- Commit to a target to reduce the number of people in congregate living situations and special education
- Reduce violence and institutionalisation, and fully fund implementation of the Crimes (Offences Against Vulnerable People) Legislation Amendment Bill 2020
- Ensure gaps in National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) services are met
- Fully funded and appropriate respite care facilities for carers and for palliative care patients and carers.
Read the full issue brief below for more details, or read other issue briefs on our ACT Election page.