Contact the Gulanga Program
Learn about the Gulanga Program staff.
About the Gulanga Program
The Gulanga Program is designed to support ACT community sector organisations to develop and improve upon good, culturally appropriate practice standards.
The program employs Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander workers and aims to provide better engagement with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples and their families to access the services that will best meet their needs.
The program is supported by funding under the National Affordable Housing Agreement (NAHA), which is jointly funded by the ACT and Australian Governments, and the Child, Youth and Family Services Program (CYFSP), an ACT Government funded initiative.
The Gulanga Program logo is based on an artwork by Kristie Peters.
Gulanga Services & Activities
The Gulanga Program provides tailored support for organisations and their staff, including:
- Engaging with agencies to support and promote good practice standards for culturally appropriate community services
- Peer support and mentoring for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples employed in the community sector
- Engaging with government and non-government agencies through forums and networks, over the phone, and face-to-face meetings.
Resources & Tools
Gulanga Program staff identify and develop resources and tools to assist services to better respond and deliver culturally appropriate services to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Check out our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander resources.
Workshops & Seminars
We organise workshops and seminars around cultural awareness for staff of community organisations.
Each year our Winter edition of the ACTCOSS journal has an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander theme. Previous editions include:
- Update, Issue 92, Summer 2020-21: Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples: Stories of good practice in the community sector
- Update, Issue 88, Winter 2019: Cultural competency: Working together with Aboriginal &/or Torres Strait Islander peoples & communities
- Update, Issue 84, Winter 2018: People with disability: Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander perspectives
- Update, Issue 80, Winter 2017: What is the impact of white privilege in Canberra?
- Update, Issue 76, Winter 2016: Working with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander peoples & communities
- Update, Issue 72, Winter 2015: Respectful Relationships with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Peoples in the ACT
Gulanga staff assist the ACTCOSS policy team with developing advocacy publications, such as submissions to government and research reports. They provide advice, not only in regards to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander specific policy, but how other policy areas affect Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities.
Check out the policy area on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples for advocacy publications.
Networks & Working Groups
The Gulanga Program runs and supports a number of email and face-to-face networks including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Sector Network (ATSIComSec): For Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community sector workers in the ACT and region.
- ACT Nannies Group: For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander grandmothers in the ACT and region.
- Reconciliation Peer Network: For anyone interested in reconciliation in their workplace.